Work Zones and Employee Safety
The Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) Part Six provides the basic requirements for Work Zone Traffic Control. As a part of this Traffic Control the MUTCD suggests the development of a traffic control plan that provides for both the safety of the traveling public as well as the employee.
NOTE: This class is NOT the same as the RS I Core class, Roadway Safety & WZTC, which focuses more on Roadway and Roadside Safety issues, obstructions, hazards, etc. This class is an ELECTIVE option, and will focus more on worker safety and work zone traffic control planning; similar to a Traffic Control Technician and TC Plans course. It will NOT provide the official TCT Certification.
This interactive full day program will cover:
- Review MUTCD Part 6: Temporary Traffic Control with a focus on some of the key considerations when developing a traffic control plan:
- The human factors of the traveling public
- The key elements used to guide the traveling public
- Importance of work zone safety devices
- Elements used to protect the employee in the work zone
- Development of an Internal Traffic Control Plan
- What is Internal Traffic Control and how does it protect the public and the worker
- Creating “safe zones” for workers, equipment, and traveling public
- Traffic Control Planning
- Students will use different roadway scenarios, to develop practice traffic plans, discussing the effects of those plans on both the public as well as the employee.
- Innovative Traffic Control
- New tools that can be used to protect the worker
- “Work Zone Safety and Mobility” Rule compliance
- Creating “Smarter Work Zones” & Innovative Traffic Control
- Funding Safety Improvements
This program will assist those working in the roadway in understanding the key elements used to control the traveling public as well as their role in the development of a safe and effective work zone.
Everyone from the new employee to the manager of a road or street department will find value in this very interactive program.
This course is an ELECTIVE in the Roads Scholar I course track. Click above for more RS I program details.
The registration fee for this workshop is $50 per person for employees of government agencies and $75 per person for non-government agencies. Fee includes any class handouts and lunch. Registration can be paid online, or via invoice upon special request. Please contact email@example.com for questions.
Please be considerate of those on the waiting list, cancel early if necessary. A full refund will be made if you cancel no later than 3 business days prior to the training day; otherwise, you will forfeit the registration fee.
In order to receive credit for this class, attendees must stay until the end when it is dismissed by the instructor and class certificates are awarded.
Road Scholar Credits
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)
Select A Session
Sorry, there are no sessions currently available for this course at this time.